Max using Index/Match Help

Old January 8th 07, 07:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Exceller

Default Max using Index/Match Help

I'm trying to create a function using Index/Match to qualify my criteria to
extract the highest value in a field (and I'm having fits doing it!). I can't
use VLookup because my lookup list is, and cannot be, in alphabetical order.

My fields are as follows:

A B
1 Check number Check Amt
2 12345 $100
3 12345 $200
4 12345 $300

I'm using the check numbers (another sheet, say, at cell D2) as the Lookup
Value against the Check Number field (above). When a Match is found I need
the highest value from the Check Amt field returned.

Thank you!
Old January 8th 07, 07:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Teethless mama

=MAX(IF(A2:A500="test1",B2:B500))

ctrl+shift+enter, not just enter
Adjust to suit

Old January 8th 07, 07:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Exceller

My goodness...this is just child's play for you Gurus!
Many, many thanks, Mama--it works like a charm.
Regards.
(aspiring) Exceller

Old January 8th 07, 07:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko

One way:

D2 = 12345

=SUMPRODUCT(MAX((A1:A3=D2)*B1:B3))

Biff

Old January 8th 07, 08:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Teethless mama

You are welcome!

Old January 8th 07, 09:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Exceller

Thanks, Biff. I appreciate your help!
Exceller

Old January 8th 07, 10:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko

You're welcome!

Biff