can you fill only half of a cell

Old January 7th 07, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kristen

Default can you fill only half of a cell

I am trying to fill only half of a cell if I use a border that cuts the cell
in half. Is this even possible?

My goal - one cell equals a full hour/ I want a 1/2 cell to equal 1/2 hour.

Any thoughts?
Old January 7th 07, 07:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nick Hodge

Kristen

This is not possible but why not one cell=1/2 hour, two cells - 1 hour? (If
you have headers for the hours or similar, you can highlight two cells and
Format>Cells>Alignment>Centre across selection)

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

Old January 7th 07, 07:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You mean you want to fill the cell with color--or you want to fill the cell with
a string?

You can't have multiple fill colors in that cell. You could put a rectangle
over half the cell and color that, though.

But why not make each cell 30 minutes.

Old January 8th 07, 03:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
vinnie123

Kristen wrote:
> I am trying to fill only half of a cell if I use a border that cuts the cell
> in half. Is this even possible?
>
> My goal - one cell equals a full hour/ I want a 1/2 cell to equal 1/2 hour.
>
> Any thoughts?

It would be easier to use 2 cells side by side (eg. c4 and d4) and use
conditional formatting.

By setting the format of the first to be filled by a colour if it (or
relevant cell) is equal to 0.5 or 30min or less, and the second cell to
fill if equal to 1 or 60 min or less you should achieve your desired
effect ie .

(if the font and fill colour is the same you won't see the text.)

fill a cell based on another cell Debbie Excel Worksheet Functions 5 December 22nd 06 04:52 PM
Cell References [email protected] Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 November 16th 06 12:37 AM
basics? n21 New Users to Excel 7 September 21st 06 12:37 PM
GET.CELL Biff Excel Worksheet Functions 2 November 24th 04 08:16 PM