A Microsoft Excel forum. ExcelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ExcelBanter forum » Excel Newsgroups » Excel Discussion (Misc queries)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Excel Formula to calulate number of days passed from date to date



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 4th 07, 09:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
K. Mack
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Excel Formula to calulate number of days passed from date to date

Hi guys & gals,

I am working on a spreadsheet that has a column with a start date and
another column with an end date and the third column should total the amount
of days between the two. I can't find a formula to do this. Any help would
be greatly appreciated. I'm sure it's someting simple that I'm missing but I
am almost ready to pull my hair out. Thanks.
Ads
  #2  
Old January 4th 07, 09:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sean Timmons
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,696
Default Excel Formula to calulate number of days passed from date to date

It's as simple as you think.
cell C2 should be
B2-A2
Format as number.

"K. Mack" wrote:

> Hi guys & gals,
>
> I am working on a spreadsheet that has a column with a start date and
> another column with an end date and the third column should total the amount
> of days between the two. I can't find a formula to do this. Any help would
> be greatly appreciated. I'm sure it's someting simple that I'm missing but I
> am almost ready to pull my hair out. Thanks.

  #3  
Old January 4th 07, 09:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,886
Default Excel Formula to calulate number of days passed from date to date

Hi

With start in A1 and end in B1
=B1-A1

Add +1 is if you want to include the whole of the first day and the
whole of the last day

--
Regards

Roger Govier


"K. Mack" > wrote in message
...
> Hi guys & gals,
>
> I am working on a spreadsheet that has a column with a start date and
> another column with an end date and the third column should total the
> amount
> of days between the two. I can't find a formula to do this. Any help
> would
> be greatly appreciated. I'm sure it's someting simple that I'm
> missing but I
> am almost ready to pull my hair out. Thanks.



  #4  
Old January 4th 07, 09:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,059
Default Excel Formula to calulate number of days passed from date to date

=B1-A1

Must format as a number rather than a date!
--
Gary's Student


"K. Mack" wrote:

> Hi guys & gals,
>
> I am working on a spreadsheet that has a column with a start date and
> another column with an end date and the third column should total the amount
> of days between the two. I can't find a formula to do this. Any help would
> be greatly appreciated. I'm sure it's someting simple that I'm missing but I
> am almost ready to pull my hair out. Thanks.

  #5  
Old January 4th 07, 09:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 35,220
Default Excel Formula to calulate number of days passed from date to date

Just subtract them and format the cell as General.

=b2-a2

(or if you want to include one of the end dates)

=b2-a2+1
(or +2 for both days???)

K. Mack wrote:
>
> Hi guys & gals,
>
> I am working on a spreadsheet that has a column with a start date and
> another column with an end date and the third column should total the amount
> of days between the two. I can't find a formula to do this. Any help would
> be greatly appreciated. I'm sure it's someting simple that I'm missing but I
> am almost ready to pull my hair out. Thanks.


--

Dave Peterson
  #6  
Old January 4th 07, 09:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nick Hodge
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,173
Default Excel Formula to calulate number of days passed from date to date

As dates are whole numbers just subtract one from the other and format the
cell as general as it will automatically format it as a date

Remember: you can't have negative dates in Excel (without some changes)

--
HTH
Nick Hodge
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Southampton, England
DTHIS
www.nickhodge.co.uk


"K. Mack" > wrote in message
...
> Hi guys & gals,
>
> I am working on a spreadsheet that has a column with a start date and
> another column with an end date and the third column should total the
> amount
> of days between the two. I can't find a formula to do this. Any help
> would
> be greatly appreciated. I'm sure it's someting simple that I'm missing
> but I
> am almost ready to pull my hair out. Thanks.


  #7  
Old January 4th 07, 09:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
K. Mack
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Excel Formula to calulate number of days passed from date to d

That's the ticket! Thanks so much.

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

> =B1-A1
>
> Must format as a number rather than a date!
> --
> Gary's Student
>
>
> "K. Mack" wrote:
>
> > Hi guys & gals,
> >
> > I am working on a spreadsheet that has a column with a start date and
> > another column with an end date and the third column should total the amount
> > of days between the two. I can't find a formula to do this. Any help would
> > be greatly appreciated. I'm sure it's someting simple that I'm missing but I
> > am almost ready to pull my hair out. Thanks.

  #8  
Old January 4th 07, 10:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,886
Default Excel Formula to calulate number of days passed from date to date

Hi Dave
> (or +2 for both days???)


No, just 1 to add.
05 Jan 07 - 01 Jan 07 = 4

Actual days 01,02,03,04,05 = 5
--
Regards

Roger Govier


"Dave Peterson" > wrote in message
...
> Just subtract them and format the cell as General.
>
> =b2-a2
>
> (or if you want to include one of the end dates)
>
> =b2-a2+1
> (or +2 for both days???)
>
> K. Mack wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys & gals,
>>
>> I am working on a spreadsheet that has a column with a start date and
>> another column with an end date and the third column should total the
>> amount
>> of days between the two. I can't find a formula to do this. Any
>> help would
>> be greatly appreciated. I'm sure it's someting simple that I'm
>> missing but I
>> am almost ready to pull my hair out. Thanks.

>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson



  #9  
Old January 4th 07, 11:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 35,220
Default Excel Formula to calulate number of days passed from date to date

Oops.

Roger Govier wrote:
>
> Hi Dave
> > (or +2 for both days???)

>
> No, just 1 to add.
> 05 Jan 07 - 01 Jan 07 = 4
>
> Actual days 01,02,03,04,05 = 5
> --
> Regards
>
> Roger Govier
>
> "Dave Peterson" > wrote in message
> ...
> > Just subtract them and format the cell as General.
> >
> > =b2-a2
> >
> > (or if you want to include one of the end dates)
> >
> > =b2-a2+1
> > (or +2 for both days???)
> >
> > K. Mack wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi guys & gals,
> >>
> >> I am working on a spreadsheet that has a column with a start date and
> >> another column with an end date and the third column should total the
> >> amount
> >> of days between the two. I can't find a formula to do this. Any
> >> help would
> >> be greatly appreciated. I'm sure it's someting simple that I'm
> >> missing but I
> >> am almost ready to pull my hair out. Thanks.

> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson


--

Dave Peterson
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
excel date scheduling not msProject 4pinoy Excel Worksheet Functions 0 November 11th 06 08:33 PM
Fomula for number of days on each month from a date range [email protected] Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 November 9th 06 03:08 AM
Mileage Claim Formula johndavies New Users to Excel 4 August 14th 06 09:24 AM
how to get the number of days between two date formatted fields in vba for excel? Daniel Excel Worksheet Functions 1 July 12th 05 01:53 AM
Excel running date formula minus weekend days Eliane Excel Worksheet Functions 2 March 30th 05 10:37 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.