How can you create Box Plots (Box-and-Whisker Plots) in Excel?

Old December 27th 06, 02:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Amy Bass

Default How can you create Box Plots (Box-and-Whisker Plots) in Excel?

I would like to create side-by-side Box-and-Whisker Plots for exploratory
data analysis, comparing populations from a variety of sources (monitoring
wells, in this case). I want each "box" to include the following: a line at
the mean and a symbol at the median, a box extending to the first and third
quartiles, and whiskers extending to the min and max. I can tweak the details
myself, but I'm not sure how to get started with it, using the chart tools in
Excel.
Thanks for your help! - Amy
Old December 27th 06, 04:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Bernard Liengme

Start he http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BoxWhisker.html
Happy new year
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

Old December 27th 06, 05:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Amy Bass

Thank you!

Old December 28th 06, 01:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Del Cotter

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006, in microsoft.public.excel.charting,
Amy Bass > said:
>I would like to create side-by-side Box-and-Whisker Plots for exploratory
>data analysis, comparing populations from a variety of sources (monitoring
>wells, in this case). I want each "box" to include the following: a line at
>the mean and a symbol at the median, a box extending to the first and third
>quartiles, and whiskers extending to the min and max. I can tweak the details
>myself, but I'm not sure how to get started with it, using the chart tools in
>Excel.

There are various clever ways to create the full visual effect of the
classic John Tukey box-and-whisker plot using a combination chart of
line and stacked bar series, and doubtless a couple of posters will be
along shortly to show how that's done.

But may I suggest my preferred version that does the same job using only
Excel line chart series, without boxes, which are after all only a
visual aid invented in the days when draftsmen drew them with pen and
ruler?

http://www.branta.demon.co.uk/excel/...thoutboxes.xls

--
Del Cotter