Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Why does excel turn numbers larger than 15 digits to zero?

When I type any number into excel that is greater than 15 digits, it turns
all the remaining numbers to zero. For instance, if I enter 4444555566667777
excel throws it into scientific format. When I turn it back to a number the
number is now 4444555566667770.

Any Idea why this is, and how I can make it stop?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel's numerical precision is 15 decimal digits.
If you need more, like for credit card numbers, format the cell as text before entering the "number" or precede the number by an
apostrophe (which will not show)
Note that you van not calculate with these text-"numbers"

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Aaron" wrote in message ...
| When I type any number into excel that is greater than 15 digits, it turns
| all the remaining numbers to zero. For instance, if I enter 4444555566667777
| excel throws it into scientific format. When I turn it back to a number the
| number is now 4444555566667770.
|
| Any Idea why this is, and how I can make it stop?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for such a quick response Niek,

but... my group frequently deals with .csv files that when you open then, it
automatically sends the text to columns without allowing the option to turn
the long fields to text.

Is there an alternate way to open the file so it does not automatically send
text to columns without asking?

"Aaron" wrote in message ...
| When I type any number into excel that is greater than 15 digits, it turns
| all the remaining numbers to zero. For instance, if I enter 4444555566667777
| excel throws it into scientific format. When I turn it back to a number the
| number is now 4444555566667770.
|
| Any Idea why this is, and how I can make it stop?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

rename the .csv file a .txt file. That will pop-up a wizard on opening. There you can choose the cells to be text.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Aaron" wrote in message ...
| Thank you for such a quick response Niek,
|
| but... my group frequently deals with .csv files that when you open then, it
| automatically sends the text to columns without allowing the option to turn
| the long fields to text.
|
| Is there an alternate way to open the file so it does not automatically send
| text to columns without asking?
|
| "Niek Otten" wrote:
|
| Excel's numerical precision is 15 decimal digits.
| If you need more, like for credit card numbers, format the cell as text before entering the "number" or precede the number by
an
| apostrophe (which will not show)
| Note that you van not calculate with these text-"numbers"
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
| Microsoft MVP - Excel
|
| "Aaron" wrote in message ...
| | When I type any number into excel that is greater than 15 digits, it turns
| | all the remaining numbers to zero. For instance, if I enter 4444555566667777
| | excel throws it into scientific format. When I turn it back to a number the
| | number is now 4444555566667770.
| |
| | Any Idea why this is, and how I can make it stop?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Change the *.csv extension to *.txt

When opening, the Text to Columns Wizard will allow you to designate the data as
Text.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Aaron" wrote in message ...
| When I type any number into excel that is greater than 15 digits, it turns
| all the remaining numbers to zero. For instance, if I enter 4444555566667777
| excel throws it into scientific format. When I turn it back to a number the
| number is now 4444555566667770.
|
| Any Idea why this is, and how I can make it stop?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is there anyway that I can format these cells as text through Excel using C#
or VB.NET?