A Microsoft Excel forum. ExcelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ExcelBanter forum » Excel Newsgroups » Excel Discussion (Misc queries)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Split text into multiple columns using a common delimiter



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 15th 06, 12:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
buffgirl71
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default Split text into multiple columns using a common delimiter

My data in col A is as follows:

1*15
101268*6
101352*16
101513*11
10406*2
10406*37
10411*13
10411*7

I want to add two columns with the data preceding the * going into Col
B and the data following the * going into Col C. I can't use RIGHT or
LEFT because the data is not the same length. If someone knows a way to
do this, I'd certainly appreciate knowing how. Thanks in advance.

Ads
  #2  
Old November 15th 06, 12:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Paul B
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 709
Default Split text into multiple columns using a common delimiter

buffgirl71, have a look at Data, text to columns, post back if you need help
with it

--
Paul B
Always backup your data before trying something new
Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it
Feedback on answers is always appreciated!
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"buffgirl71" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> My data in col A is as follows:
>
> 1*15
> 101268*6
> 101352*16
> 101513*11
> 10406*2
> 10406*37
> 10411*13
> 10411*7
>
> I want to add two columns with the data preceding the * going into Col
> B and the data following the * going into Col C. I can't use RIGHT or
> LEFT because the data is not the same length. If someone knows a way to
> do this, I'd certainly appreciate knowing how. Thanks in advance.
>



  #3  
Old November 15th 06, 12:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
buffgirl71
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default Split text into multiple columns using a common delimiter

Thank you - that works perfectly. I knew about that functionality...I
don't know why I didn't think of it. Brain f*rt I guess. Thanks!


Paul B wrote:
> buffgirl71, have a look at Data, text to columns, post back if you need help
> with it
>
> --
> Paul B
> Always backup your data before trying something new
> Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it
> Feedback on answers is always appreciated!
> Using Excel 2002 & 2003
>
> "buffgirl71" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > My data in col A is as follows:
> >
> > 1*15
> > 101268*6
> > 101352*16
> > 101513*11
> > 10406*2
> > 10406*37
> > 10411*13
> > 10411*7
> >
> > I want to add two columns with the data preceding the * going into Col
> > B and the data following the * going into Col C. I can't use RIGHT or
> > LEFT because the data is not the same length. If someone knows a way to
> > do this, I'd certainly appreciate knowing how. Thanks in advance.
> >


  #4  
Old November 15th 06, 01:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Paul B
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 709
Default Split text into multiple columns using a common delimiter

Your welcome, "Brain f*rt I guess" it happens More to me now
than days

--
Paul B
Always backup your data before trying something new
Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it
Feedback on answers is always appreciated!
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"buffgirl71" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thank you - that works perfectly. I knew about that functionality...I
> don't know why I didn't think of it. Brain f*rt I guess. Thanks!
>
>
> Paul B wrote:
> > buffgirl71, have a look at Data, text to columns, post back if you need

help
> > with it
> >
> > --
> > Paul B
> > Always backup your data before trying something new
> > Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it
> > Feedback on answers is always appreciated!
> > Using Excel 2002 & 2003
> >
> > "buffgirl71" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> > > My data in col A is as follows:
> > >
> > > 1*15
> > > 101268*6
> > > 101352*16
> > > 101513*11
> > > 10406*2
> > > 10406*37
> > > 10411*13
> > > 10411*7
> > >
> > > I want to add two columns with the data preceding the * going into Col
> > > B and the data following the * going into Col C. I can't use RIGHT or
> > > LEFT because the data is not the same length. If someone knows a way

to
> > > do this, I'd certainly appreciate knowing how. Thanks in advance.
> > >

>



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Copy from a Cell to a text box. AJL Excel Worksheet Functions 9 November 7th 06 05:58 PM
"Text to Columns" for many columns in Excel 2003 NickName Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 12 September 8th 06 10:14 PM
How do I create multiple columns from a one-column list in Excel? Melissa Excel Worksheet Functions 5 October 5th 05 03:32 AM
Combining text from multiple columns into 1 stelee Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 July 6th 05 11:04 AM
splitting text to multiple columns maryj Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 December 1st 04 04:37 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.