How can I increase the number of text characters in a cell

Old November 6th 06, 03:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Preadno

Default How can I increase the number of text characters in a cell

Hi there

I am working on an Excel spreadheet with lots of text. The cells seem to
accept only a certain number of characters before the text runs out of the
cell. Is there anything to increase the number of text characters in a cell?

Any response would be highly appreciated

Thanks

Old November 6th 06, 03:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave F

See this for a discussion of limits of XL 2003:

(Since you didn't specify which version of XL you're using this may not
apply to you. If that's the case, do a google search for your version of XL
and its limits.)

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

Old November 6th 06, 06:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Excel Help on "limits" or "specifications" reveals that Excel will allow
32,767 characters to be entered in a cell.

However, it goes on to state that "only 1024 characters will be visible or can
be printed"

To work around this limitation, stick a few ALT + ENTERs in at appropriate
spots, about every 100 characters..

The ALT + ENTER forces a line-feed and expands the 1024 limit.

How far is not really known. Just experiment.

.........From Dave Peterson..........

I put this formula in A1:
="xxx"& REPT(REPT("asdf ",25)&CHAR(10),58)&"yyy"

And adjusted the columnwidth, rowheight and font size and I got about 7300
characters to print ok.

.........End Dave P.................

Failing that, use a Text Box to store the text or MS Word which is a word
processing application, unlike Excel which is not.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 06:03:02 -0800, Preadno >
wrote:

>Hi there
>
>I am working on an Excel spreadheet with lots of text. The cells seem to
>accept only a certain number of characters before the text runs out of the
>cell. Is there anything to increase the number of text characters in a cell?
>
>Any response would be highly appreciated
>
>Thanks

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP