Protect Sheet but allow sorting

Old November 3rd 06, 11:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
LucyK

Default Protect Sheet but allow sorting

Don't tell me I have to be a prorammer to protect my sheet but allow
for sorting!!! That will kill me and take days.

I have a workbook with 2 worksheets (tabs) that I would like to protect
from editing, but would like to allow for sorting.

HELP...

Old November 4th 06, 12:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Debra Dalgleish has a technique that sorts a range by a certain column by
clicking on an invisible rectangle in the header.

You could add a couple of lines to that code--a line to unprotect the worksheet
near the top and a line to protect the worksheet when it's done (right near the
bottom).

http://contextures.com/xlSort02.html

Old November 4th 06, 12:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim Thomlinson

If you are using XL2002 or better then when you protect the sheet there is a
set of options specifying what the user is and is not allowed to do. Sort is
one of the options. Otherwise you are stuck with Code. One thing you can do
in code relatively easily is to unprotect the sheet if the cursor is within a
specific group of cells. By doing this if the user is in the header row then
you unprotect allowing the sort. otherwise if they are anywhere else then the
sheet is protected. If that appeals to you then let me know...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

Old November 12th 06, 08:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ShawnDoeX

I am using Excel 2003 and I am having similar problems protecting a sheet
from editing while allowing sorting.

I have protected the sheet with the "sort" option switched on. If I do not
do this, the "sort" option in the "tools" menu would be greyed out and
unselectable. However, even with the option switched on so that the sorting
option is at least selectable, I STILL get an excel warning that the
worksheet is read-only and that I should unprotect the worksheet to sort it
?!!

Help please!
Old December 20th 06, 11:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
George M

I too am having problems with protecting an Excel 2003 spreadsheet from
changes but allowing users to sort. I click Tools>Protection>Protect Sheet
and put a check mark in the Sort box of "Allow users to..." (as the
documentation specifies). Nevertheless, subsequently trying to use Data>Sort
or the Sort buttons produces an error message.

Has anyone out there been able to make it work? How?
--
George M