How do I lock/protect cells so they can't be changed

Old November 3rd 06, 12:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Julie

Default How do I lock/protect cells so they can't be changed

I have set up a spreadsheet for a co-worker. How do I protect the formulas
so they can't be inadvertently (or intentionally) deleted or written over?
I've tried the instructions "Lock only a few cells on a worksheet" but I can
still change the cells that I want protected.
Old November 3rd 06, 01:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Paul B

Julie,
By default all cells in excel are protected or locked, select the cells you
want to unlock and go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, then
go to tools, protection, and protect sheet, enter a password if you want,
now only the cells that you unlocked can be edited. Be aware that this
protection is very easy to break, the code to do so can be found very easy,
but it will work for most people .

If you only need a few locked I would select them all first, Ctrl A, then
go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, then select the cells
you want to lock and go to format cells and check locked, the go to tools,
protection, and protect sheet, enter a password if you want, now the cells
that you locked can not be edited

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

Old November 3rd 06, 05:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Julie

Thank you. It finally worked.

Old November 4th 06, 04:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Paul B

Your welcome

--
Paul B