Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I set up a multiplication table using formulas?

I am trying to demonstrate the usefulness of Excel by showing my kids how it
will calculate multiplication tables for them. Using numbers 1 to 12 (for
example) across the x-axis and 1 to 12 across the y-axis would yield a
product. Any assistance in using formulas?
--
Bruce Schmidt
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bruce,
enter the following formula in A1
=ROW()*COLUMN()
and copy this down to row 12 then copy that across to column L for 12x12

or if you want to show them a macro also

Sub MultTable()
'will make a multiplication table
noCols = InputBox("Number of columns", , 12)
noRows = InputBox("Number of Rows", , 12)
Dim ir As Long, ic As Long

For ir = 1 To noRows
For ic = 1 To noCols
Cells(ir, ic).Value = ir * ic
Next ic
Next ir

Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Bruce" wrote in message
I am trying to demonstrate the usefulness of Excel by showing my kids how

it
will calculate multiplication tables for them. Using numbers 1 to 12 (for
example) across the x-axis and 1 to 12 across the y-axis would yield a
product. Any assistance in using formulas?
--
Bruce Schmidt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JMB JMB is offline

Another way
=B$1*$A2
copy across and down

"Bruce" wrote:

I am trying to demonstrate the usefulness of Excel by showing my kids how it
will calculate multiplication tables for them. Using numbers 1 to 12 (for
example) across the x-axis and 1 to 12 across the y-axis would yield a
product. Any assistance in using formulas?
--
Bruce Schmidt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think this way is probably better for the teaching part of his request.
While Paul's is a slick way of doing it for a 'general' case, it would not
show the students how Excel is taking values from different locations and
manipulating them to come up with useful information. Your method does - can
change a value in either the x or y axis and visually show the results of the
change.

"JMB" wrote:

Another way
=B$1*$A2