A Microsoft Excel forum. ExcelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ExcelBanter forum » Excel Newsgroups » Excel Discussion (Misc queries)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

How to interpret summary output from multiple regression analysis



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 12th 06, 05:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
B52bomber
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default How to interpret summary output from multiple regression analysis

When conductin multiple regression analysis y = f(x1, x2, x3, x4); what does
the t-stat and the p-value mean? I'm trying to determine which variables are
the "real" predictors of the Y value.
Ads
  #2  
Old October 12th 06, 11:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jerry W. Lewis
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 837
Default How to interpret summary output from multiple regression analysis

They are the test statistic and p-value for the test that the corresponding
coefficient is zero. Note that there can be multiple testing issues when you
are "data dredging" instead of prespecifying the coefficient to be tested.

Jerry

"B52bomber" wrote:

> When conductin multiple regression analysis y = f(x1, x2, x3, x4); what does
> the t-stat and the p-value mean? I'm trying to determine which variables are
> the "real" predictors of the Y value.

  #3  
Old October 13th 06, 01:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
B52bomber
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default How to interpret summary output from multiple regression analy

Jerry,

When conducting a multiple regression, sometimes there are "p" values less
than my threshold (p<0.05). I presume this means that these variables could
be eliminated from the regression equation?

Are there any methods to pick which variables to eliminate, so that I can
determine those variables which should be kept in the regression equation?

I am working a problem with 10 potential variables.

Thanks.

"Jerry W. Lewis" wrote:

> They are the test statistic and p-value for the test that the corresponding
> coefficient is zero. Note that there can be multiple testing issues when you
> are "data dredging" instead of prespecifying the coefficient to be tested.
>
> Jerry
>
> "B52bomber" wrote:
>
> > When conductin multiple regression analysis y = f(x1, x2, x3, x4); what does
> > the t-stat and the p-value mean? I'm trying to determine which variables are
> > the "real" predictors of the Y value.

  #4  
Old October 13th 06, 08:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jerry W. Lewis
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 837
Default How to interpret summary output from multiple regression analy

While your criteria has a nominal 5% error rate for any single pre-specified
test, the overall error rate is much higher. If the 10 potential regression
variables were statistically independent random variables that had no
predictive value, then the probability of declaring at least one of the
variables to be significant anyway would be =1-(1-0.5)^10 or about 0.40.

When you do this kind of data dredging, what you get is a working
hypothesis, not a proven model. If you have enough data, you might consider
randomly dividing your data into two groups. Then you could estimate a model
with the first group and test that hypothesized model with the second group.

As for methods, two commonly used methods of "stepwise regression" are
forward selection and backward elimination.
- Forward selection starts with no variables and one-by-one adds the
variable whose inclusion causes the largest decrease in residual sum of
squares.
- Backward elimination starts with all of the variables and one-by-one
eliminates the variable whose removal causes the smallest increase in
residual sum of squares.

Jerry

"B52bomber" wrote:

> Jerry,
>
> When conducting a multiple regression, sometimes there are "p" values less
> than my threshold (p<0.05). I presume this means that these variables could
> be eliminated from the regression equation?
>
> Are there any methods to pick which variables to eliminate, so that I can
> determine those variables which should be kept in the regression equation?
>
> I am working a problem with 10 potential variables.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Jerry W. Lewis" wrote:
>
> > They are the test statistic and p-value for the test that the corresponding
> > coefficient is zero. Note that there can be multiple testing issues when you
> > are "data dredging" instead of prespecifying the coefficient to be tested.
> >
> > Jerry
> >
> > "B52bomber" wrote:
> >
> > > When conductin multiple regression analysis y = f(x1, x2, x3, x4); what does
> > > the t-stat and the p-value mean? I'm trying to determine which variables are
> > > the "real" predictors of the Y value.

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Copying cell values to a external file in VBA DJ MC Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 6 September 29th 06 09:07 AM
editing and analysis of cells in multiple worksheets AND workbooks foggy Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 September 5th 06 01:41 AM
What is "Adjusted R^2" in Multiple Regression [email protected] Excel Worksheet Functions 3 July 13th 06 03:14 AM
How do you populate the X variables in Regression analysis for mo. tjp32 Excel Worksheet Functions 1 April 4th 05 09:29 PM
linking multiple sheets to a summary sheet greg g Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 December 16th 04 07:43 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.