How do I count shaded cells

Old January 31st 05, 08:37 PM
Randy

Default How do I count shaded cells

I have built a scheduling templet and would like to be able to count the
number of cells that shaded. Where shaded cells represent hours worked. Any
ideas?
Old January 31st 05, 08:49 PM
Paul B

Randy, have a look here

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

Old January 31st 05, 08:57 PM
Bob Phillips

Randy,

There is a counting solution at http://xldynamic.com/xld.ColourCounter.html
which counts coloured cells. If you mean shaded as in pattern, it could be
amended to that as well.

--

HTH

RP

Old January 31st 05, 09:03 PM
Randy

Thanks,

i looked at that but had trouble when I put the counting formula into my
cell. It returns a #NAME? error.

My cells are in row a7:z7

so i modifed the forumal to read

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ColorIndex(C7:Z7)=3))

I am not sure that the -- mean before the second (. I do not remeber seeing
these before.

Any suggestions?

Old January 31st 05, 09:09 PM
Randy

Thanks bob,

i tried that but get a #NAME? error.

I took the forumal at the site you sent and set up for my sheet as below

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ColorIndex(C7:Z7)=3))

Any suggestion on what I may have done wrong?

Thanks
Randy

Old January 31st 05, 09:15 PM
Peo Sjoblom

You have to install the UDF first, copy the code and paste into a module in
the workbook or make an add-in by pasting into module in a new wrokbook and
save as ColorIndex.xla, then restart excel and check it under tools>add-ins

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

Old January 31st 05, 09:17 PM
Randy

Sorry I gave you the wrong reference i used this link to find a formula

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html

Old January 31st 05, 09:38 PM
Bob Phillips

Did you put the code in a normal code module, not a sheet module?

--

HTH

RP

Old January 31st 05, 09:45 PM
Randy

Thanks Peo,

I have to admit i have never written any code in xcell outside formulas.
Any suggestion on where I could find info to what you suggested?

Randy

Old January 31st 05, 09:57 PM
Bob Phillips

You don't have to write it, it is all on the web page. Just copy and paste
it.

--

HTH

RP