Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I get excel to leave a zero in front of a number?

I am trying to list bus numbers for my students and excel won't let me type
0176. It keeps taking away the zero and leaving 176. I even tried putting a
decimal point in front and then it added a zero 0.0176.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I get excel to leave a zero in front of a number?

Excel automatically removes leading zeros from numbers, which can be frustrating when you're trying to enter numbers with leading zeros, like bus numbers. However, there is a simple solution to this problem.

To get Excel to leave a zero in front of a number, you need to format the cell as text. Here's how to do it:
  1. Select the cell or cells where you want to enter the bus numbers.
  2. Right-click on the selected cells and choose "Format Cells" from the context menu.
  3. In the Format Cells dialog box, click on the "Number" tab.
  4. In the Category list, select "Text".
  5. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

Now, when you enter the bus numbers, Excel will treat them as text and leave the leading zero intact. If you've already entered the bus numbers without the leading zero, you can simply add the zero in front of the number and Excel will automatically treat it as text.

I hope this helps you with your bus number list!
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

type this way:

'0176

add ' in front of numeric value, then those numeric value will convert to
text format

do rate pls

"elmo" wrote:

I am trying to list bus numbers for my students and excel won't let me type
0176. It keeps taking away the zero and leaving 176. I even tried putting a
decimal point in front and then it added a zero 0.0176.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Custom format 0000
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"elmo" wrote in message
I am trying to list bus numbers for my students and excel won't let me type
0176. It keeps taking away the zero and leaving 176. I even tried
putting a
decimal point in front and then it added a zero 0.0176.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Before you type in the number, format the cells as text.

Format Cells Text

Then type the number in.

--
Allllen