How can I change default row numbers in Excel ?

Old August 27th 06, 03:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
XcelMstr

Default How can I change default row numbers in Excel ?

I wanted to change/modify the default row numbers in Excel but was unable to
do it.Actually I have inserted logo which covers row 1 to 8 and then my
actual data starts.But what I want is the actual row which is showing row
no.9 shoudl be as row no.1 .Can anybody give a solution for it ?
Old August 27th 06, 04:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don Guillett

Use column 1 to put in whatever you like and use tools>options>view>

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

Old August 27th 06, 06:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
XcelMstr

thankx for ur reply....

but that option will hide the row and columns.I don't want to hide them I
just want to change the 8 row in the excel sheet as starting from
1,2,3.......and so on...hope you get my point.

Old August 27th 06, 06:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Richard Buttrey

If I understand you correctly, you are wanting to change the basic
Excle structure so that your rows start their excel listing with
number 1 in the 9th row.

You can't do it.

If you think about it, and being logical and assuming Excel allowed
this, how would you expect to see the first 8 rows numbered, -7, -6,
-5, -4, -3, -2, -1, 0 ?

As has been suggested the only way you can get the sheet to look like
you want it to look, is to switch off the view rows/columns, number
cell A9 with '1', A10 with '2' etc, and then hide column A.

HTH

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 10:34:01 -0700, XcelMstr
> wrote:

>thankx for ur reply....
>
>but that option will hide the row and columns.I don't want to hide them I
>just want to change the 8 row in the excel sheet as starting from
>1,2,3.......and so on...hope you get my point.
>
>"Don Guillett" wrote:
>
>> Use column 1 to put in whatever you like and use tools>options>view>
>>
>> --
>> Don Guillett
>> SalesAid Software
>>
>> "XcelMstr" > wrote in message
>> >I wanted to change/modify the default row numbers in Excel but was unable
>> > do it.Actually I have inserted logo which covers row 1 to 8 and then my
>> > actual data starts.But what I want is the actual row which is showing row
>> > no.9 shoudl be as row no.1 .Can anybody give a solution for it ?

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
__________________________
Old August 27th 06, 06:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

You cannot change the row numbers in the manner which you describe.

Workaround for appearance only........

In A9 enter =ROW()-8

Drag/copy down as far as you wish.

Tools>Options>View. Uncheck "row and column headers"

Note: A9 will still be A9

BTW..........maybe just expand row 1 and insert you logo without using the other
7 rows.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 07:57:01 -0700, XcelMstr