on bar graph, how to superimpose line of average values over bars

Old August 22nd 06, 10:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Kavitha

Default on bar graph, how to superimpose line of average values over bars

i am creating a bar graph with death rates for 8 cities in los angeles for a
particular disease. Now I would like to draw a constant line at a particular
rate through the entire bar graph to indicate the target rate.
Old August 22nd 06, 10:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

Hi,

Rather than drawing the line using shapes, which will be static, add an
extra data series. Here are a few pages on the subject.

http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts...nes/index.html
http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm
http://www.processtrends.com/pg_char...ontal_line.htm

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
Old August 23rd 06, 12:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Kavitha

Default on bar graph, how to superimpose line of average values over b

Thanks that was very helpful. I got stuck on a minute detail: Label Last
Point. Currently the value of my horiz line is labeled at the 0 x-axis point
and it is also labeled at the 1-axis point on my secondary axis. I was
reading through the link titled "Label Last Point" but it is talking about
creating a module. I'm not exactly sure how to do that. Any ideas?

Old August 23rd 06, 08:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Andy Pope

You need to go to the VBE (visual basic editor) within excel ALT+F11
In the project window you should see your current workbook. Select it
and then via the menus Insert > Module. This will add a code module to
your project. You can then copy/paste the code.

Here is a non vba solution
http://www.andypope.info/charts/Labellast.htm

Cheers
Andy