Is it possible to link cell formatting in Excel from file to file

Old August 17th 06, 04:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KimW

Default Is it possible to link cell formatting in Excel from file to file

I am linking data from one workbook to another - to pre-populate cells in
planning templates. I have no problems linking the data. Hoever, I would also
like to link the formatting (cell shading, font color, etc.)

Is this possible and if so, how?
Old August 17th 06, 04:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
starguy

copy your source sheet (Ctrl+A) and then go to the sheet where you have
made links (destination) select cell A1 of that sheet and right click,
select Paste Special and click on Formats then Ok. All formats will be
copied to the destination sheet without disturbing your links.

hope this would serve your purpose.

--
starguy
starguy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32434

Old August 17th 06, 05:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KimW

Default Is it possible to link cell formatting in Excel from file to f

Unfortunately, I want to link formats that would be changing from one
workbook to the other. The user would enter a variety of information (and
often custom formatting - esp cell shading) into one workbook (for the
overall territory) this information then populates a series of other
workbooks (for individual distribuitors in the territory).

I thought about conditional formatting, but I can't predict what will be
typed into cells or how the user will format the cells. The info goes from
one worksheet to the other with no problem, but at this point, if the user
wants fancy formatting, they will have to do it themsleves - oh, and did I
mention the worksheet is protected.

Old August 17th 06, 05:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Not possible to link cell formatting.

Nearest you can get is starguy's copy formats.

Note: if you change formatting in source book, you will have to again copy
formats manually.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Old August 17th 06, 07:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KimW

That's what I figured. I've re-protected the sheets, but am allowing cell
formatting - so if the user really wants that pretty format, they will have
to do it themselves (again and again and again)....