Set cell to only accept 1 character

Old August 2nd 06, 02:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Raymond

Default Set cell to only accept 1 character

I need to format several cells to only accept one character and then
automatically move to the next cell. Can this be done in Excel 2003? We
have to fill out a spreadsheet and several cells are one character wide but
we have to hit the tab key after each character to get it to move to the next
cell. This is hard when entering 20 or more of these one character cells in
a row.
Old August 2nd 06, 04:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup
Eddie O

I'm not expert in VBA, but it doesn't sound like this could be done. If it
could be done, it would be VBA, not normal excel functionality. I'm pretty
sure a VBA script could only toss off an error message if you tried to exit
the cell, having entered more than one character. You would need a script
which runs continuously even as you're still typing in the cell, and tabs you
into the next field as soon as it detects that you've entered 1 character. I
don't think excel VBA handles that type of scripting.