Row height representations in print/print preview

Old August 1st 06, 09:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Russell@Tikit

Default Row height representations in print/print preview

All,

I have devised a spreadsheet that functions as a PO for clients, which
requires a lot of word-wrapped text for product descriptions, but I have
noticed that when it comes to printing (to file or to hard copy), often the
row height cuts off the text in the cell when it has multiple lines. This is
despite the cell appearing fine on the screen and the rows being set to
autoheight.
A work-around is to alt+return for a line or so after each but this ruins
the uniformity of the spreadsheet and takes much trial and error; is there a
way to re-configure the autoheight function so that it displays the correct
cell height on each, in real terms?
Thanks,

Old August 1st 06, 04:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Perhaps it quits appearing because you have reached the cell limit for
characters.

Excel Help on "limits" or "specifications" reveals that Excel will allow
32,767 characters to be entered in a cell.

However, it goes on to state that "only 1024 characters will be visible or can
be printed"

To work around this limitation, stick a few ALT + ENTERs in at appropriate
spots, about every 100 characters..

The ALT + ENTER forces a line-feed and expands the 1024 limit.

How far is not really known. Just experiment.

.........From Dave Peterson..........

I put this formula in A1:
="xxx"& REPT(REPT("asdf ",25)&CHAR(10),58)&"yyy"

And adjusted the columnwidth, rowheight and font size and I got about 7300
characters to print ok.

.........End Dave P.................

Failing that, use a Text Box to store the text or MS Word which is a word
processing application, unlike Excel which is not.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 01:49:01 -0700, Russell@Tikit
> wrote:

>All,
>
> I have devised a spreadsheet that functions as a PO for clients, which
>requires a lot of word-wrapped text for product descriptions, but I have
>noticed that when it comes to printing (to file or to hard copy), often the
>row height cuts off the text in the cell when it has multiple lines. This is
>despite the cell appearing fine on the screen and the rows being set to
>autoheight.
> A work-around is to alt+return for a line or so after each but this ruins
>the uniformity of the spreadsheet and takes much trial and error; is there a
>way to re-configure the autoheight function so that it displays the correct
>cell height on each, in real terms?
> Thanks,

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP