Vlookup to return the sum of multiple matches

Old July 31st 06, 07:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AussieExcelUser

Default Vlookup to return the sum of multiple matches

- I have a summary page with a list of products and need to show
production volume of each product, product code in column A and total
of production to be in column B.
- I have a report detailing products manufactured by sites, with site
in column A, product code in column B and volume in Column C.

The difficulty is that the production site information is "stacked", so
I have repeating product codes in the same column (each site follows the
other down the page and each site manufactures the same products). How
do I use a Vlookup (or what should I use) to find every instance of a
match in a list and return the summed value of the query (in this
example match column A on the summary sheet with column B on the
production report and sum every volume value against that product type
from column C)?

I hope this is clear enough

--
AussieExcelUser
AussieExcelUser's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32326

Old July 31st 06, 09:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

Assuming your "report detailing products" is named: Sheet2
In your summary sheet,
Try in B2:
=SUMIF(Sheet2!B:B,A2,Sheet2!C:C)
Copy down
--
Max
Singapore

Old July 31st 06, 11:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AussieExcelUser

Thanks Max, that worked a treat.

Old August 1st 06, 12:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

"AussieExcelUser" wrote:
> Thanks Max, that worked a treat.

Nice to hear that! Thanks for callback.