aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Default How do I calculate the Root Mean Square (RMS)

N Harkawat

=SQRT(AVERAGE(A1:A5^2))
array entered (ctrl+shift+enter)

where A1:a5 is the range where the number range exists

"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
<aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa@discussi ons.microsoft.com wrote
in message ...

Earl Kiosterud

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,

You need to know the values you're wanting the RMS of. If this is
electronics, where RMS is virtually completely misunderstood, you need to
say what the waveform is (sine, square, program material, or what), and what
you know about it (peak value, average value, etc.).

--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com/

"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
<aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa@discussi ons.microsoft.com wrote
in message ...

Jerry W. Lewis

Thank you for providing an informative subject line, but it usually
helps to elaborate in the body of the post. As Earl noted, the most
obvious elaboration would be RMS of what?

If this is a regression question, you would use
=INDEX(LINEST(yData,xData,const,TRUE),3,2)

Jerry

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Jerry,

thank you for your response. You have right, it is a regression question but
I need the RMS for the line of equality and not for the trend line. Is the
function you proposed the proper one for my case?

"Jerry W. Lewis" wrote:

Thank you for providing an informative subject line, but it usually
helps to elaborate in the body of the post. As Earl noted, the most
obvious elaboration would be RMS of what?

If this is a regression question, you would use
=INDEX(LINEST(yData,xData,const,TRUE),3,2)

Jerry

Jerry W. Lewis

If by RMS you mean RMSE, the estimated standard deviation about the
regression line, the sum of squares for error would be
=SUMSQ(y-x)
with n-1 degrees of freedom for an assumed model of of y=x. This is an
array formula, that must be array entered (Ctrl-Shift-Enter). Thus the
RMSE would be
=SQRT(SUMSQ(y-x)/(COUNT(y)-1))
which also must be array entered.