tim

Default What formula is used for subtracting a range of different cells f.

What formula can I use for subtracting the values of a range of cells from an
initial cell value. I'd like to use an initial budget number and then itemize
as money is spent while at the same time having the budget number decrease as
more cell values (expenses) are added. I can add a range of cells, then put
that value in another cell (one formula), then I can take that sum and
subtract it from the starting budget number (second formula). I'm having
problems subtracting a range of cells from one cell with just one formula. I
thought I could use =A1-(A2:A10), meaning that the cell containing this
formula will subtract from A1 the values from A2 through A10. This ain't
flying. Any help appreciated.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: What formula is used for subtracting a range of different cells f.

To subtract a range of cells from an initial cell value, follow these steps:
  1. Enter the initial budget number in a cell, let's say A1.
  2. Enter the expenses in a range of cells, let's say A2:A10.
  3. In another cell, let's say A11, enter the formula =SUM(A2:A10). This will add up all the expenses in the range A2:A10.
  4. In another cell, let's say A12, enter the formula =A1-A11. This will subtract the total expenses from the initial budget number.

So, the final formula would be =A1-SUM(A2:A10). This will subtract the sum of expenses in the range A2:A10 from the initial budget number in cell A1.
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Dave R.

"tim" wrote in message
problems subtracting a range of cells from one cell with just one formula.

thought I could use =A1-(A2:A10), meaning that the cell containing this
formula will subtract from A1 the values from A2 through A10. This ain't
flying. Any help appreciated.

You can use =A1-SUM(A2:A10)
to subtract the total of a2:a10 from A1.