Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Dynamic number formatting

Costs in my sheet could be in a wide range of different currencies. The ideal
visual outcome would be to associate the appropriate currency symbol to each
cost number. The currency information is dynalically generate in a cell
inside the working sheet. As an example, if Euro is the selected currency,
all costs should look like this: ‚¬123.00, ‚¬435.65 and so on.
Is there a smart way to set a sort of conditional formatting so that - based
on the currency selected at a given time - all financial figures are
represented with the appropriate currency symbol?

Thanks, Stefano
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Stefano

You can't use Conditional Formatting to set the cells number format.
You could however, make the calculations that you carry out, all have
*$A$1 at the end of the calculation.
If you set A1 number format to be ? 1.00, then the results will display
in ?,
Change the format of cell A1 to £ 1.00 and the results will display in £
Sterling

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"smaruzzi" wrote in message
Costs in my sheet could be in a wide range of different currencies.
The ideal
visual outcome would be to associate the appropriate currency symbol
to each
cost number. The currency information is dynalically generate in a
cell
inside the working sheet. As an example, if Euro is the selected
currency,
all costs should look like this: ?123.00, ?435.65 and so on.
Is there a smart way to set a sort of conditional formatting so that -
based
on the currency selected at a given time - all financial figures are
represented with the appropriate currency symbol?

Thanks, Stefano

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am in need of the same issue. However the step that Roger gave although
simple actually makes more work for the user. In my application I am
selecting if the currency should me in US $ or Euros. I have a set of "IF"
statements that display the correct values in the correct cells. For not be
a programmer on any wort of level, I am pretty impressed so far. However the
remaining issue is having the value populate with the correct currency
marker. What I need is a way to have excell know I want all of the contects
of a cell. For example cell D55 could be $2500 and cell D56 would be
(EuroSym)1856.53. When my user slects US$ I want the entire cell to populate
in cell D19 as $2500. Any help would be great!!!