Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
teacher-deburg

Default In Excel find characters when multiple characters exist w/i a cel

I want to be able to find the number of occurrances of a particular
alpha-numeric character in a specified range when there can be multiple
characters in any one cell. (More over, I want to be able to find the number
of occurrances of an array of charcters within a specified range.)

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...et.f unctions
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

You count the characters, and then count the characters with the letter
substituted by "".

=LEN(B4)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B4,"A",""))

or

=(LEN(B4)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(B4,"or","")))/LEN("or")

for a string orf characters

--

HTH

RP

"teacher-deburg" wrote in message
I want to be able to find the number of occurrances of a particular
alpha-numeric character in a specified range when there can be multiple
characters in any one cell. (More over, I want to be able to find the

number
of occurrances of an array of charcters within a specified range.)

this