Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I enter NUMBERS with leading zeros In Excel ie 001, 002 ?

see subject. I am using Office 2003 and wish to log series of 3 - 5 digit
serial numbers and also record similar numbers in randonm order but excel
persists in deleting leading zeros unless I enter the figures as as text.
Thanks.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I enter NUMBERS with leading zeros In Excel ie 001, 002 ?

To enter numbers with leading zeros in Excel:
  1. Select the cells where you want to enter the numbers with leading zeros.
  2. Right-click on the selected cells and choose "Format Cells".
  3. In the "Format Cells" dialog box, click on the "Number" tab.
  4. In the "Category" list, select "Text".
  5. Click "OK" to apply the formatting.

To add leading zeros to numbers that have already been entered:
  1. In a new column, enter the formula
    Code:
    =CONCATENATE("00",A1)
    where A1 is the cell containing the number you want to add leading zeros to.
  2. Copy the formula down to the rest of the cells in the column.
  3. Select the new column and copy it.
  4. Right-click on the original column and choose "Paste Special".
  5. In the "Paste Special" dialog box, choose "Values" and click "OK".
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

A "number" with a leading zero IS text, not a real number. Entering it as
TextFormat will preserve it's state. If you want to enter a "real number"
and make it look like it has a leading zero, that can be done with Custom
Formatting.

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"bobl3517" wrote:

see subject. I am using Office 2003 and wish to log series of 3 - 5 digit
serial numbers and also record similar numbers in randonm order but excel
persists in deleting leading zeros unless I enter the figures as as text.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 06:15:02 -0700, bobl3517
wrote:

see subject. I am using Office 2003 and wish to log series of 3 - 5 digit
serial numbers and also record similar numbers in randonm order but excel
persists in deleting leading zeros unless I enter the figures as as text.
Thanks.

You must either enter them as text or custom format the cell.

For example, Format/Cells/Number/Custom Type: "000" or "00000"

If you custom format the cells as above, you will not need to enter the leading
zero's.

If you want to enter a variable number of leading zeros, unless there is some
method of determining the correct number of leading zero's, you will have to
enter as text.
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 06:46:02 -0700, bobl3517
wrote:

Thanks Ron, I tried many ways and got close in CUSTOM but entering 000
without the " " works fine. Cheers, Bob.

Sorry for the Quote confusion.

You are correct in that you should be omitting the quote marks.

--ron