Mytpoet67

Default Goal Seek - Why make the PV negative?

I'm using goal seek on the following data to find the Term (in years) if the
Monthly Repayment is 2000 on a loan. The only way I can get goal seek to
find the correct answer (19.56536985 years) is to make the PV negative (-B6)
in the PMT formula. The PMT formula in cell B10 is =PMT(B7/12,B8*12,-B6).
Can somone explain why the PV has to be negative? I'm not the most
mathematically-minded person.
A B
3 Purchase Price 250000
4 Purchase Costs 11500