Blue

Default Save & Save As features in file menu of Excel

The save button and both "save" & "save as" options in file dropdown menu are
not highlighted in Excel 2003. How do i restore the capability to save my
work in Excel. Only way I can do it now is to close the program and wait for
a prompt to save the file. I double checked to see if any features were
inadvertently disabled on the "About Microsoft Excel" help tab, nothing was
listed.
Frank Kabel

Hi
see your other post

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Blue wrote:
The save button and both "save" & "save as" options in file dropdown
menu are not highlighted in Excel 2003. How do i restore the
capability to save my work in Excel. Only way I can do it now is to
close the program and wait for a prompt to save the file. I double
checked to see if any features were inadvertently disabled on the
"About Microsoft Excel" help tab, nothing was listed.

Blue

Yes, this problem happens with every type of worksheet. When creating a new
worksheet to editing an existing worksheet.

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
see your other post

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Blue wrote:
The save button and both "save" & "save as" options in file dropdown
menu are not highlighted in Excel 2003. How do i restore the
capability to save my work in Excel. Only way I can do it now is to
close the program and wait for a prompt to save the file. I double
checked to see if any features were inadvertently disabled on the
"About Microsoft Excel" help tab, nothing was listed.

Blue

Frank, it happens with any type of worksheet from creating a new Excel
worksheet to editing an existing one.

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
see your other post

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Blue wrote:
The save button and both "save" & "save as" options in file dropdown
menu are not highlighted in Excel 2003. How do i restore the
capability to save my work in Excel. Only way I can do it now is to
close the program and wait for a prompt to save the file. I double
checked to see if any features were inadvertently disabled on the
"About Microsoft Excel" help tab, nothing was listed.

Gord Dibben

Blue

Missing or just grayed-out?

From a post by Dave Peterson.............

There was a virus that affected the File|Save, File|SaveAs and File|Open.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308360
OFF2000: Error Messages Caused by Nimda Virus When You Open or Save
Files in Office Programs

maybe you got hit.

If this isn't it, do you get error messages?

And you may want to try resetting that option on the toolbar.

Tools|Customize (just to see that dialog)
click on File
rightclick on SaveAs
select Reset

Try it out.

End Dave's post.........................................

Gord Dibben XL2002

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:03:04 -0800, "Blue"
wrote:

Yes, this problem happens with every type of worksheet. When creating a new
worksheet to editing an existing worksheet.

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
see your other post

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Blue wrote:
The save button and both "save" & "save as" options in file dropdown
menu are not highlighted in Excel 2003. How do i restore the
capability to save my work in Excel. Only way I can do it now is to
close the program and wait for a prompt to save the file. I double
checked to see if any features were inadvertently disabled on the
"About Microsoft Excel" help tab, nothing was listed.

Blue

This anomaly only occurs in Excel. The "save" button, "save" & "save as"
options are all grayed-out. Only way to save is to risk losing work by
exiting excel.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Blue

Missing or just grayed-out?

From a post by Dave Peterson.............

wrote:

Yes, this problem happens with every type of worksheet. When creating a new
worksheet to editing an existing worksheet.

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
see your other post

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Blue wrote:
The save button and both "save" & "save as" options in file dropdown
menu are not highlighted in Excel 2003. How do i restore the
capability to save my work in Excel. Only way I can do it now is to
close the program and wait for a prompt to save the file. I double
checked to see if any features were inadvertently disabled on the
"About Microsoft Excel" help tab, nothing was listed.

Blue

BTW, there are not error messages associated with this problem. Simply no
button or menu feature to allow me to save because they are grayed out.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Blue

Missing or just grayed-out?

From a post by Dave Peterson.............

wrote:

Yes, this problem happens with every type of worksheet. When creating a new
worksheet to editing an existing worksheet.

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
see your other post

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Blue wrote:
The save button and both "save" & "save as" options in file dropdown
menu are not highlighted in Excel 2003. How do i restore the
capability to save my work in Excel. Only way I can do it now is to
close the program and wait for a prompt to save the file. I double
checked to see if any features were inadvertently disabled on the
"About Microsoft Excel" help tab, nothing was listed.

Blue

Gord, I tried resetting the SaveAs and Save options on the toolbar, but it
still didn't restore these functions. I appreciate the tip, but I'm still in
a quandry for how to remedy this prob.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Blue

Missing or just grayed-out?

From a post by Dave Peterson.............

wrote:

Yes, this problem happens with every type of worksheet. When creating a new
worksheet to editing an existing worksheet.

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
see your other post

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Blue wrote:
The save button and both "save" & "save as" options in file dropdown
menu are not highlighted in Excel 2003. How do i restore the
capability to save my work in Excel. Only way I can do it now is to
close the program and wait for a prompt to save the file. I double
checked to see if any features were inadvertently disabled on the
"About Microsoft Excel" help tab, nothing was listed.

Gord Dibben

Blue

Is the workbook shared?

Sometimes shared workbooks can create problems.

Gord

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 11:27:01 -0800, "Blue"
wrote:

Gord, I tried resetting the SaveAs and Save options on the toolbar, but it
still didn't restore these functions. I appreciate the tip, but I'm still in
a quandry for how to remedy this prob.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Blue

Missing or just grayed-out?

From a post by Dave Peterson.............

wrote:

Yes, this problem happens with every type of worksheet. When creating a new
worksheet to editing an existing worksheet.

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
see your other post

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Blue wrote:
The save button and both "save" & "save as" options in file dropdown
menu are not highlighted in Excel 2003. How do i restore the
capability to save my work in Excel. Only way I can do it now is to
close the program and wait for a prompt to save the file. I double
checked to see if any features were inadvertently disabled on the
"About Microsoft Excel" help tab, nothing was listed.

Blue

I often work with shared workbooks but the problem is not specific to any one
type of workbook. Are you suggesting that this might be the root of the
problem? If so, how do i fix it so I can have the save functions restored?

wrote:

Gord, I tried resetting the SaveAs and Save options on the toolbar, but it
still didn't restore these functions. I appreciate the tip, but I'm still in
a quandry for how to remedy this prob.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Blue

Missing or just grayed-out?

From a post by Dave Peterson.............

wrote:

Yes, this problem happens with every type of worksheet. When creating a new
worksheet to editing an existing worksheet.

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
see your other post

--