Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don Don is offline

Default Function to determine whether cell contains a formula?

All,

Is there a function (eg, in the form of =ISFORMULA(_)) that will return a
code if a cell contains a formula as opposed to a blank or a text or value?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well, there's a macro you can use called GetFormula:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm

Once installed you use it as an ordinary function: =getformula(A1) etc.

Dave

"Don" wrote:

All,

Is there a function (eg, in the form of =ISFORMULA(_)) that will return a
code if a cell contains a formula as opposed to a blank or a text or value?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Don:

Remember, without any custom functions, you can locate all cells containing
formulae and count them:

first set the status bar to COUNT
next:
Edit Goto Special formulas
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200708

"Don" wrote:

All,

Is there a function (eg, in the form of =ISFORMULA(_)) that will return a
code if a cell contains a formula as opposed to a blank or a text or value?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don Don is offline

Gary's Student,

Thanks! I should have been more specific about my use. I am trying to set
up a spreadsheet to project due dates for activities that are calculated.
Once the activity is completed, the user would enter a date into the field
(replacing the calculation). I want to use conditional formatting to color
the cells differently based upon whether a date is projected (eg, calculated
with a formula) or actual (based upon a value being present in the cell). I
think that the other reply will help, although I haven't been able to get it
to work yet.

"Don" wrote:

All,

Is there a function (eg, in the form of =ISFORMULA(_)) that will return a
code if a cell contains a formula as opposed to a blank or a text or value?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don Don is offline

Dave,

Thanks! I think that this will work, although I haven't been able to get it
to take yet in VBA programming (since I know next to nothing about VBA
programming!). However it is a good start and with a little tinkering it
looks as if it will do exactly what I want.

Thanks!