Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sort names and birth dates

I have a spread sheets with a couple of thousand names and birth dates. I am
wanting to locate the duplicate name and birth date and put these in another
column.
Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Both the name and birthdate have to be duplicated???

If yes...

I would insert a new column and concatenate the name and birthdate.

=a1&"...."&text(b1,"yyyy-mm-dd")

Then use the techniques at Chip Pearson's site:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Duplicates.aspx

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Dave,
I am actually needing to identify the duplicate names with their duplicate
birthdates.
Any suggestions? thanks

orange wrote:

I have a spread sheets with a couple of thousand names and birth dates. I am
wanting to locate the duplicate name and birth date and put these in another
column.
Any suggestions?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I guess I don't understand what you're looking for.

Maybe a bigger explanation or some sample (plain text) data with the results
you'd like to see would help.

Or maybe someone who understands the question will jump in.

orange wrote:

I have a spread sheets with a couple of thousand names and birth dates. I am
wanting to locate the duplicate name and birth date and put these in another
column.
Any suggestions?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hopefully this example works:
I have a spread sheet with two columns:

Column A Column B
John Anderson 09/03/08
Dave Anderson 08/09/08
John Anderson 07/03/08
Marsha Anderson 06/08/08
Dave Anderson 08/09/08

I am looking for a way to extract the duplicate names that have the same
birth date
i.e. Dave Anderson 08/09/08

Is this something that can be done?
thanks for your help!

orange wrote:

I have a spread sheets with a couple of thousand names and birth dates. I am
wanting to locate the duplicate name and birth date and put these in another
column.
Any suggestions?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think the first suggestion and one of Chip's techniques will work.

Did you try it?

Or if you want to extract to a different area, then using the concatenated cell
and advanced filter with unique records should work.

See Debra Dalgleish's site:
http://contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#FilterUR

orange wrote:

I have a spread sheets with a couple of thousand names and birth dates. I am
wanting to locate the duplicate name and birth date and put these in another
column.
Any suggestions?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Dave,
Thank you soooooo much for your advice. I am now able to identify what I
was looking for.
Again, thank you!