Cheyenne

Default Default fill color change

I have a spreadsheet in which i've created specific fill colors. When I try
to open the spreadsheet from a new workbook, the colors go back to default
and the sheet looks horrible (i.e bright orange-red where light mint green
should be). I have to send this on to management and would hate to have the
spreadsheet look great on my screen but have loud, eye-irritating colors when
they try to open it. Can someone please help?
Dave Peterson

Colors travel with workbooks.

So if you've customized your color set in workbook A (say worksheet1), then copy
worksheet1 to a different workbook (say B) that doesn't have the same customized
settings, then all your colors will change to workbook B's colors.

If that's what you mean by opening a spreadsheet from a new workbook, then you
could change the customized colors for that new workbook (any existing colors in
that new workbook could change--depends on how you've used your colors).

Anyway, open the new workbook (bad colors) and the old workbook (good colors).

With the bad colors workbook active:
tools|options|colors tab
Use the "copy colors from" box and point at the "good color" workbook.

Remember to save your new workbook with the good colors.

And you may want to check if you've changed the existing colors to something
less desirable.

If you want to learn more about how excel deals with colors, you may want to
visit David McRitchie's site:

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/colors.htm

--

Dave Peterson
Gord Dibben

Colors modified through ToolsOptionsColorModify are a property of the
workbook and are not a global change to Excel.

These color mods can be imported to another workbook.

I am confused(easily done) by your term "open the spreadsheet from a new
workbook".

What exactly do you mean by this? Do you mean "copy the worksheet to a new
workbook"?

"Spreadsheet" is the generic term for an application like Excel that is used
for calculation. Lotus is a "spreadsheet" program. Quattro Pro is a
"spreadsheet" program.

Excel has "workbooks" which contain "worksheets".

Gord Dibben Excel MVP