Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I superimpose an "X" over a number in an Excel cell?

I have a calendar as an Excel worksheet. I want to make certain dates with an
"X" superimposed over the number that is in the cell so that the number would
be somewhat visible.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I superimpose an "X" over a number in an Excel cell?

To superimpose an "X" over a number in an Excel cell, you can follow these steps:
  1. Select the cell that contains the number you want to add the "X" to.
  2. Right-click on the cell and select "Format Cells" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the "Format Cells" dialog box, select the "Custom" category.
  4. In the "Type" field, enter the following format code:
    Formula:
    0;"X";
  5. Click "OK" to apply the format to the cell.

This format code will display the number in the cell if it is greater than zero, and display an "X" if the number is zero or less. The "X" will be superimposed over the number, making it somewhat visible.

Alternatively, you can also use conditional formatting to achieve this effect. Here's how:
  1. Select the cell or range of cells you want to apply the formatting to.
  2. Click on the "Conditional Formatting" button in the "Home" tab of the ribbon.
  3. Select "New Rule" from the drop-down menu.
  4. In the "New Formatting Rule" dialog box, select "Use a formula to determine which cells to format".
  5. In the "Format values where this formula is true" field, enter the following formula:
    Formula:
    =A1<=
    (replace "A1" with the cell reference of the first cell in your selected range).
  6. Click on the "Format" button to open the "Format Cells" dialog box.
  7. In the "Font" tab, select the "Strikethrough" option and click "OK".
  8. Click "OK" again to close the "New Formatting Rule" dialog box.

This will apply a strikethrough formatting to any cell in the selected range that contains a number less than or equal to zero, effectively superimposing an "X" over the number.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

R-click cell, Format Cell, Border, click the lower left and right boxes
to make an "X", apply.

GeorgeK wrote:

I have a calendar as an Excel worksheet. I want to make certain dates with an
"X" superimposed over the number that is in the cell so that the number would
be somewhat visible.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not an "X" but try FormatCellsFontStrikethrough.

Otherwise use Wordart and make it transparent.

Note: the image cannot be embedded into the cell, just lays on top.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:40:00 -0700, GeorgeK
wrote:

I have a calendar as an Excel worksheet. I want to make certain dates with an
"X" superimposed over the number that is in the cell so that the number would
be somewhat visible.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You might be able to leverage this little XL oddity...

http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/odd/odd04.htm
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson