Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ann

Default How to enter numerical numbers in rows where value is same

I have 500 lines and would like to number each row, however some rows contain
the same information 2 or more times, so I need to keep the numbering in
sequence by repeating the same number where the rows contain the same
information.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

Try this:

Assume your data is in the range A1:A500.

In B1 enter 1.

Enter this formula in B2 and copy down to B500:

=IF(A2=A1,B1,B1+1)

Biff

"Ann" wrote in message
I have 500 lines and would like to number each row, however some rows
contain
the same information 2 or more times, so I need to keep the numbering in
sequence by repeating the same number where the rows contain the same
information.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ann

Here's an example: Below I have entered 3 parts , but I have a toal of 6 rows
because I want to enter #7 twice,#8 once and #9 is entered 3 times.
7 388018400
7 388018400
8 387844800
9 388018500
9 388018500
9 388018500

"Ann" wrote in message
I have 500 lines and would like to number each row, however some rows
contain
the same information 2 or more times, so I need to keep the numbering
in
sequence by repeating the same number where the rows contain the same
information.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Take a look at this screencap:

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/5531/countrows9vn.jpg

Biff

"Ann" wrote in message
I have 500 lines and would like to number each row, however some rows
contain
the same information 2 or more times, so I need to keep the
numbering
in
sequence by repeating the same number where the rows contain the
same
information.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Well, the only other thing I can suggest is that if you'd like me to take a
look at your file then I can see what's "going on".

If you want to do that just let me know how to contact you.

Biff