Fysh

Default Use variables for a chart

Hello, I have used Excel in the past, but nothing to this extreme. I have a
worksheet with about 15-20 columns. At the top of these columns I created a
toggle button for each column. One of the columns consist of trimesters,
another is in years others have data. What I would like to do is create a
chart on my worksheet which would be populated using the trimesters, years,
and the data for that particular column. Is this possible or do I have to
create a chart for each column? I was wonder maybe I need to run some code
behind the button to popluate another column with the particular data from
the column I need the data from. Another problem I might run into is that
the data cloumns can grow for each trimester and year.

Hopefully what I am suggesting is possible. Can someone provide any input
on this?

Thanks,
Jon Peltier

An alternative to Tushar's suggestion (and pivot tables might be smart enough to do
this if you arrange your data properly), is to set up dynamic data ranges, and link
controls to the cells that govern the ranges:

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ChartByControl.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Fysh wrote:

Hello, I have used Excel in the past, but nothing to this extreme. I have a
worksheet with about 15-20 columns. At the top of these columns I created a
toggle button for each column. One of the columns consist of trimesters,
another is in years others have data. What I would like to do is create a
chart on my worksheet which would be populated using the trimesters, years,
and the data for that particular column. Is this possible or do I have to
create a chart for each column? I was wonder maybe I need to run some code
behind the button to popluate another column with the particular data from
the column I need the data from. Another problem I might run into is that
the data cloumns can grow for each trimester and year.

Hopefully what I am suggesting is possible. Can someone provide any input
on this?

Thanks,

Fysh

I took a look at pivot tables/charts, but some reason I am unable to get the
data to change. In other words I would like to create just one chart and by
selecting the button above each column have it populate the chart or better
yet use a combo box with a range. Is this possible, it seems like it could
be done, but how?

"Tushar Mehta" wrote:

Check out XL's PivotTable and PivotChart capability. You might find
that that is all you need. Start with Data | PivotTable and PivotChart
Report...

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions