Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
MAK MAK is offline

Default Helpppppp

Hi there...

What I´m trying to do its pretty simple, but not to me.

i m havin 2 sheets in excel. in one of those UNIQUE records are there wit
some corresponding values in another column.... bt in another sheet there is
only one column and t data is nt unique.
ex....
COLUMN 1 COLUMN 2

ACTB005 1
ACTB009 2 UNIQUE RECORDS
ACTB010 3
ACTB018 4
ACTB020 5
ACTB025 6

and

ACTB005
ACTB009
ACTB010
ACTB010
ACTB018 Repeted records
ACTB018
ACTB020
ACTB020
ACTB025
ACTB025

and the output is supposed 2 be lke tis

ACTB005 1
ACTB009 2
ACTB010 3
ACTB010 3
ACTB018 4
ACTB018 4
ACTB020 5
ACTB020 5
ACTB020 5
ACTB025 6

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

A simple "if" function should do the trick

enter 1 in the first cell in column B
enter .....=IF(A3=A2,B2,B2+1)

and extend it down the column

greetings from New Zealand
"MAK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Alternatively, and especially if the repeated records might not be
sorted, use VLOOKUP.

Assuming your unique records are in A1:B6, and the first repeated
record is in A10, then put

=VLOOKUP(A10,$A$1:$B$6,2,FALSE)

in B10 and then copy it down

Regards

Murray

MAK wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"MAK"
wrote in message
Hi there...
What I´m trying to do its pretty simple, but not to me.

-snip-