Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default How to delete a line segment?

I have a line chart that keeps track of daily values and also monthly totals.
At the end of the month the monthly values line takes a steep drop back to
an initial value for the first day of the new month. Is there any way to
delete this line segment and still use the series as a whole? There will be
more than one month's worth of data displayed. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Replace that value by =NA()
....if I understand the question correctly!
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Tom Hayakawa" wrote in message
I have a line chart that keeps track of daily values and also monthly
totals.
At the end of the month the monthly values line takes a steep drop back to
an initial value for the first day of the new month. Is there any way to
delete this line segment and still use the series as a whole? There will
be
more than one month's worth of data displayed. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi Bernard,

I would need someplace to put the N/A, and those places have numbers in them.

Here's a sample
Daily Total Monthly Total
Oct 30 15 150
Oct 31 10 160
Nov 1 7 7
Nov 2 8 15

Where would the N/A go in this instance? I want the Daily Total line to
continue without a break between Oct 1 an Nov 1, but I want the line segment
between Oct 31 and Nov 1 for the Monthly Total to disappear and start up
again between Nov 1 and nov 2. I am using dyanamic ranges and text values
for dates - I've learned a lot from reading all of the posts here. But I
haven't been able to find answer for this one.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Replace that value by =NA()
....if I understand the question correctly!
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"Tom Hayakawa" wrote in message
I have a line chart that keeps track of daily values and also monthly
totals.
At the end of the month the monthly values line takes a steep drop back to
an initial value for the first day of the new month. Is there any way to
delete this line segment and still use the series as a whole? There will
be
more than one month's worth of data displayed. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

This works for me. Assuming the axis is a time series one.

30-Oct-06 15 150
31-Oct-06 10 160
31-Oct-06 #N/A
01-Nov-06 7 7
02-Nov-06 8 15

Cheers
Andy

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Replace that value by =NA()
....if I understand the question correctly!
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"Tom Hayakawa" wrote in message

I have a line chart that keeps track of daily values and also monthly
totals.
At the end of the month the monthly values line takes a steep drop back to
an initial value for the first day of the new month. Is there any way to
delete this line segment and still use the series as a whole? There will
be
more than one month's worth of data displayed. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On the chart: click on the Nov 1 data point; click again (not a double
click!).
The point changes to a fourpointed cross indicating you have select a
single point
Right click without moving the mouse and select Format Data POINT
Unselect Line on the Format dialog:
Not easy to automate but someone could make up a macro:
IF point is first of month then:
format without line
End if

best wishes
--

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Replace that value by =NA()
....if I understand the question correctly!
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"Tom Hayakawa" wrote in message
I have a line chart that keeps track of daily values and also monthly
totals.
At the end of the month the monthly values line takes a steep drop back
an initial value for the first day of the new month. Is there any way
delete this line segment and still use the series as a whole? There
will
be
more than one month's worth of data displayed. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Bernard,

That did the trick. The non-automated method done once a month will not be
a huge inconvenience, and it's a good tip to know. Thank you!

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Replace that value by =NA()
....if I understand the question correctly!
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"Tom Hayakawa" wrote in message
I have a line chart that keeps track of daily values and also monthly
totals.
At the end of the month the monthly values line takes a steep drop back
an initial value for the first day of the new month. Is there any way
delete this line segment and still use the series as a whole? There
will
be
more than one month's worth of data displayed. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Andy,

Thank you for the help, but the there was still a hole where the second Oct
31 wanted to go. I think it was because of the formulas I had that look to
previous lines for sums and test for month end. Bernard's suggestion did the
trick for me.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Replace that value by =NA()
....if I understand the question correctly!
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"Tom Hayakawa" wrote in message

I have a line chart that keeps track of daily values and also monthly
totals.
At the end of the month the monthly values line takes a steep drop back to
an initial value for the first day of the new month. Is there any way to
delete this line segment and still use the series as a whole? There will
be
more than one month's worth of data displayed. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Then the axis must have been a category and not a time series one as I
suggested.

Glad Bernard's solution worked for you.

Cheers
Andy