Vanessa

Default How do I separate words in one cell into two cells?

I have a column that has both first and last names in it. I would like to
separate the two into two separate columns. The text to column feature
doesn't work (at least how I know to use it) because the people's names are
of such different lengths. Can anyone help me so I don't have to manually
separate hundreds of names?
Thanks!
Barb R.

First, I'm assuming that there is a first name and a last name and no middle
name. If there is, you'll still have to do some data manipulation. This
should get you part of the way.

Data - Text to Columns
Select "Delimited"
Select "Space"
Select "Finish"
"Vanessa" wrote:

I have a column that has both first and last names in it. I would like to
separate the two into two separate columns. The text to column feature
doesn't work (at least how I know to use it) because the people's names are
of such different lengths. Can anyone help me so I don't have to manually
separate hundreds of names?
Thanks!

pateodoro

If, for all cells, first and last names are written with a space between, you
can use the text to column tool, choose the option "delimited" and tick
"space" option. Then you'll have all names separated in 2 columns.

"Vanessa" wrote:

I have a column that has both first and last names in it. I would like to
separate the two into two separate columns. The text to column feature
doesn't work (at least how I know to use it) because the people's names are
of such different lengths. Can anyone help me so I don't have to manually
separate hundreds of names?
Thanks!

Duke Carey

In the Text to columns feature, use Delimited instaed of Fixed Width, and use
a space as the delimiter. You'll have to eyeball the results to deal with
names like Jill St. John