Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Conditional Formats

I have to somehow apply a compound conditional format to a worksheet that is
only partially shown below. Here is my requirements which are difficult to
explain,
The correct answers to a multiple choice test are shown in row 2, columns
B,D,F,H
Students were asked to gauge their confidence in their answers, on a scale
from 1-3 which are shown in C,E,G,I
I need to conditionally format the answers so that they are Bold Italics if
the correct answer appears and color code the cells with the answers
depending upon the confidence level (on color for a 1, another for 2, and a
third for a 3).

B C D E F F H I
1 Q1 C1 Q2 C2 Q3 C3 Q4 C4
2 a b b a
3
4 a 1 - 3 d 2 a 1
5 b 3 b 3 b 3 a 3
6 a 1 b 1 d 3 a 1
7 a 1 d 2 - 3 a 1
8 c 3 b 3 - 3 - 3
9 a 1 b 1 b 1 a 1

In other words, I need a compound conditional format scheme. I hope my
explanation is not to confusing.
Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

In cell B4, go to Conditional formatting, select formula is in each condition
and enter the folowing:

condition 1
=AND(B$2=B4,C4=1)

condition 2
=AND(B$2=B4,C4=2)

conditon 3
=AND(B$2=B4,C4=3)

copy and paste special, formats to the rest of your answer cells.