Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default How do I reduce the line spacing in the legend box?

I have a graph with legend, but I can not minimise the line spacing between
the list of items. There are no spaces in the original data that I used and
this has just occured, the other graphs I have created do not have this
problem and I have done nothing different in this graph?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I reduce the line spacing in the legend box?

To reduce the line spacing in the legend box in Microsoft Excel, you can follow these steps:
  1. Click on the chart to select it.
  2. Click on the legend to select it.
  3. Right-click on the legend and select "Format Legend" from the drop-down menu.
  4. In the "Format Legend" pane that appears on the right-hand side of the screen, click on the "Options" tab.
  5. Under "Text Layout", you will see options for "Line Spacing" and "Text Direction". Adjust the "Line Spacing" to your desired value.
  6. Click "Close" to apply the changes.

If you have already tried this and it did not work, you can try adjusting the font size of the legend text. Sometimes, a larger font size can cause the line spacing to appear larger than it actually is. You can also try resizing the legend box itself to see if that helps. If none of these solutions work, it may be a glitch in the program and you may need to recreate the chart from scratch.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

You can just grab the legend's resizing handles and drag it to shrink the
entire legend: Excel tries to redraw the legend's contents dependent on how
big the box is, so squashing it should compresses the line spacing. (You can
also use this technique to create multi-column legends by stretching it
sideways).

This doesn't work if your legend is on a PivotChart, where Excel will
determine the dimensions...

Mark

"Line Spacing in Legend Box" wrote:

I have a graph with legend, but I can not minimise the line spacing between
the list of items. There are no spaces in the original data that I used and
this has just occured, the other graphs I have created do not have this
problem and I have done nothing different in this graph?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks for your advice, I tried to squash the legend by using the handles, it
only hides the information rather than it wrapping. When I clink on each
individual piece of text in the legend, it shows up like it is in a text box
with the resizing handles, when clicking on the sizing edges, it does
nothing. The legend is not on a pivotchart? Cheers

"Mark Wickett" wrote:

You can just grab the legend's resizing handles and drag it to shrink the
entire legend: Excel tries to redraw the legend's contents dependent on how
big the box is, so squashing it should compresses the line spacing. (You can
also use this technique to create multi-column legends by stretching it
sideways).

This doesn't work if your legend is on a PivotChart, where Excel will
determine the dimensions...

Mark

"Line Spacing in Legend Box" wrote:

I have a graph with legend, but I can not minimise the line spacing between
the list of items. There are no spaces in the original data that I used and
this has just occured, the other graphs I have created do not have this
problem and I have done nothing different in this graph?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Make sure the legend is wide enough to avoid word wrapping of any of the
legend entries (or use shorter labels if you have to). Then you can adjust
the height of the legend, which will squeeze the individual entries closer
together.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP