Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Reds

Default Use the same name on multiple sheets in same workbook

I am new to Excel 2002. In prior versions I could create sheet specific
names easily. With Excel 2002 every time I try to re use a name on another
sheet (same workbook) the name gets moved to the new sheet. I use several
workbooks (one book for sales, one for cost of goods, etc), with 12 sheets
named for each month of the year. Each sheet is a duplicate of the first.
As the year progresses I fill in the data at the end of each month. In the
past I used the same names(Gross.Sales for example) on each sheet in the
workbook. I then can build monthly summary reports using these names. I
cannot get it to work in Excel 2002. Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I think you forgot to include the sheetname in the names in workbook box (in the
Insert|Name|Define dialog):

Sheet1!gross.sales
or
'sheet 1'!gross.sales

This behavior didn't change with xl2002--it was the same way in xl2k and xl97
and ....

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Reds

I did include the sheetname and it changed the name to the new sheet but
removed it from the previous sheet. It's acting like this feature is
disabled somehow.

Reds wrote:

I am new to Excel 2002. In prior versions I could create sheet specific
names easily. With Excel 2002 every time I try to re use a name on another
sheet (same workbook) the name gets moved to the new sheet. I use several
workbooks (one book for sales, one for cost of goods, etc), with 12 sheets
named for each month of the year. Each sheet is a duplicate of the first.
As the year progresses I fill in the data at the end of each month. In the
past I used the same names(Gross.Sales for example) on each sheet in the
workbook. I then can build monthly summary reports using these names. I
cannot get it to work in Excel 2002. Any suggestions?
Thanks for your help

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I've never seen adding a sheet level name destroy a different sheet level name
(or destroy a workbook level name).

But working with names can be confusing.

You may want to try Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew
Henson) Name Manager:

You can find it at:
NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp

It'll make working with names much, much easier.