Bruce

Default Why cant you show negative numbers in parentheses?

you used to be able to use parentheses to show negative numbers in excel but
in the latest version (2003) they've removed this feature, you can't even set
it up as a custom format. any one know how i could do this.
Peo Sjoblom

I have no problems doing that with 2003, btw why can't you set it up as a
custom format? What happens if you use

0.00_);(0.00)

? If nothing happens your dates are text and not numbers as required

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Bruce" wrote:

you used to be able to use parentheses to show negative numbers in excel but
in the latest version (2003) they've removed this feature, you can't even set
it up as a custom format. any one know how i could do this.

Dave Peterson

Maybe it's your Windows regional settings that needs to be changed.

Windows start button|settings|control panel|regional settings
(in win98)

Currency tab
check the negative number format (use one with parentheses).

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Brian C

I can't find the "Currency Tab" under Regional Settings under WIN XP Pro.
Anyone else have some ideas. Seems strange to lose such a common feature for
number display.

Brian C

Bruce wrote:

you used to be able to use parentheses to show negative numbers in excel but
in the latest version (2003) they've removed this feature, you can't even set
it up as a custom format. any one know how i could do this.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I use winXP Home--I don't know if there's a difference.

Get to the control panel
Regional and Language Options
Regional options tab
click the Customize button
You'll see the currency tab.

Bruce wrote:

you used to be able to use parentheses to show negative numbers in excel but
in the latest version (2003) they've removed this feature, you can't even set
it up as a custom format. any one know how i could do this.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Brian C

Dave:

Thanks for the "Ah Ha" moment. That worked fine.

Brian