PE

Default Match Function Problem - Won't Find Certain Numbers

I'm having trouble with the Match function in Excel XP. I have a list of
numbers from 0.01 to 125.00 and I'm telling the match function to look down
the column and find specific numbers based on user input. The problem I'm
having is that certain number work and other don't...I've tried reformatting
the user input cell and the Match table to every format I can think or
including text and I can't get it to work. I've verified that all the
numbers I'm working with are limited to just 2 decimal places. Any help???
Bernie Deitrick

PE,

Post an example of your data, and the formula that you are using.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"PE" wrote in message
I'm having trouble with the Match function in Excel XP. I have a list of
numbers from 0.01 to 125.00 and I'm telling the match function to look

down
the column and find specific numbers based on user input. The problem I'm
having is that certain number work and other don't...I've tried

reformatting
the user input cell and the Match table to every format I can think or
including text and I can't get it to work. I've verified that all the
numbers I'm working with are limited to just 2 decimal places. Any

help???

RagDyeR

The reason is most probably that the numbers just don't match!

Key in a number that doesn't work (in both the list and the input cell), and
you'll probably find that it does.

Since you mentioned formatting, you do realize that keying in 12.01, and
having a cell formatted to 2 decimals and displaying 12.01 *but actually
containing* 12.011 will *not* be considered a match.

Just look at the actual value of the cell in the formula bar, and see if
they match.
Which brings up another point. If you can't see the value in the formula
bar because the cell contains a formula, then the results of the formula
must be rounded to match the input, *not* simply formatted.
--

HTH,

RD