ahills

Default Using =address to provide address location for =average

Is it possible to use =address to supply the cell addresses for the range in
the average function. I can get all the pieces to work separately but can't
nest the =address function within =average
Jason Morin

Yes, but you need to use INDIRECT to convert the string
created from ADDRESS to a real reference. For example:

=AVERAGE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1,1)),INDIRECT(ADDRESS(5 ,1)))

This is the same as:

=AVERAGE(A1,A5)

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

Is it possible to use =address to supply the cell

addresses for the range in
the average function. I can get all the pieces to work

separately but can't
nest the =address function within =average
.

Fordson

Jason Morin wrote:
Yes, but you need to use INDIRECT to convert the string
created from ADDRESS to a real reference. For example:

=AVERAGE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(1,1)),INDIRECT(ADDRESS(5 ,1)))

This is the same as:

=AVERAGE(A1,A5)

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

Is it possible to use =address to supply the cell

addresses for the range in

the average function. I can get all the pieces to work

separately but can't

nest the =address function within =average
.

Thanks Jason - that did it.

Allen