Glenda

Default Negative Numbers

Is there a way through formatting of cells to change
columns of positive numbers to negative or columns of
negative numbers to positive??

Appreciate your help,

Glenda.
Alex

Glenda

I think I can help.

Suppose column A has numbers 1 to 10 in cells A1:A10.

You want to change them to negative numbers. Left click on column A to
highlight the entire column. Then right-click on Column A and select <Format
Cells.... In the Category menu select <Custom [Usually at the bottom].
Underneath the word <Type is a space to customise your own format. In that
space type '-#' [quotation marks not required]. Then click <OK. That will
change your values to negatives.

To change them back to positive, follow the above plan but change '-#' to '#'.

I hope this helps. If not do write back and I will endeavour to assist
further.

Regards

Alex
"Glenda" wrote:

Is there a way through formatting of cells to change
columns of positive numbers to negative or columns of
negative numbers to positive??

Appreciate your help,

Glenda.

Bob Phillips

This only changes the appearance of them, not the underlying value. If you
need the latter then do this

enter -1 in another cell
copy that cell to the clipboard
select the numbers to change
goto EditPasteSpecial
select the Multiply button in the Operation section
OK out

--

HTH

RP

"Alex" wrote in message
Glenda

I think I can help.

Suppose column A has numbers 1 to 10 in cells A1:A10.

You want to change them to negative numbers. Left click on column A to
highlight the entire column. Then right-click on Column A and select

<Format
Cells.... In the Category menu select <Custom [Usually at the bottom].
Underneath the word <Type is a space to customise your own format. In

that
space type '-#' [quotation marks not required]. Then click <OK. That will
change your values to negatives.

To change them back to positive, follow the above plan but change '-#' to

'#'.

"Glenda" wrote:

Is there a way through formatting of cells to change
columns of positive numbers to negative or columns of
negative numbers to positive??

Appreciate your help,

Glenda.

JE McGimpsey

One way:

Put -1 in an empty cell. Copy the cell. Select your column of numbers.
Choose Edit/Paste Special, selecting the Values and Multiply radio
buttons.