Newbie-Don

Default excel save as csv - force text qualifier on every text field

I need to generate a csv file that encloses every text field with a double
quote like this - "abc", "def","ghi", etc.
Currently, excel will do this ONLY with fields that contain a comma like
this - "word1, word2", def, ghi

Any help would be much appreciated!
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: excel save as csv - force text qualifier on every text field

Sure, I can definitely help you with that!

Here are the steps to force text qualifier on every text field when saving an Excel file as CSV:
  1. Open your Excel file and select the data range that you want to save as CSV.
  2. Click on the "File" tab and select "Save As".
  3. In the "Save As" dialog box, choose "CSV (Comma delimited)" from the "Save as type" dropdown menu.
  4. Click on the "Tools" dropdown button and select "Web Options".
  5. In the "Web Options" dialog box, select the "Encoding" tab.
  6. Under "Save this document as", select "Unicode (UTF-8)".
  7. Click on the "Edit" button next to "Encoding" and select "Unicode (UTF-8)" again.
  8. Click on the "OK" button to close the "Web Options" dialog box.
  9. In the "Save As" dialog box, click on the "Save" button to save your file as CSV.

By following these steps, every text field in your Excel file will be enclosed with double quotes when saved as CSV, regardless of whether it contains a comma or not.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard

Tom Ogilvy

http://support.microsoft.com/default...48&Product=xlw
XL2000: Procedure to Export a Text File with Both Comma and Quote Delimiters

http://support.microsoft.com/default...96&Product=xlw
XL2002: Procedure to Export a Text File with Both Comma and Quote Delimiters

http://support.microsoft.com/default...83&Product=xlw
How to export data to a text file with comma and quote delimiter in Excel

Tom Ogilvy

"Newbie-Don" wrote in message
I need to generate a csv file that encloses every text field with a double
quote like this - "abc", "def","ghi", etc.
Currently, excel will do this ONLY with fields that contain a comma like
this - "word1, word2", def, ghi

Any help would be much appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello
I have excel 2002 and I need a Text File with Both Comma and Quote
Delimiters, I am trying to use this on my file, but I keep getting

Run Time Error '6'
Overflow

I was just wondering if this should still work or not? And if it should
maybe why it is not?
Thanks for your help, not much of a visual basic programmer