Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ted

Default How can I get excel to ignore formula in dependant cells...

Hi, I need to run a formula on cells which themselves contain formula. The
second formula is subtracting, say, A1 from B1. The problem is when there are
no answers in the dependant cells (A1, B1 or both) €“ it, as expected just
gives a value of #VALUE!

How can I get excel to ignore the formula and return the value of zero, when
no data/numbers have been generated by the original/initial formula/dependant
cells??

Thanks in advance.

Ted.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SteveG

Ted,

=IF(ISERROR(sum(B1-A1)),0,SUM(B1-A1))

Cheers,

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:28:04 -0800, Ted wrote:

Hi, I need to run a formula on cells which themselves contain formula. The
second formula is subtracting, say, A1 from B1. The problem is when there are
no answers in the dependant cells (A1, B1 or both) – it, as expected just
gives a value of #VALUE!

How can I get excel to ignore the formula and return the value of zero, when
no data/numbers have been generated by the original/initial formula/dependant
cells??

Thanks in advance.

Ted.

One thing you can do is to keep your problem in the same thread, so that people
won't be wasting time posing solutions that you have tried but have already
failed, for one reason or another.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ted

sorry, I thought that once more messages had been added, older ones get moved
to other pages, so are less likely to be seen - I tried to re-post one a
couple of days ago using the " click this link to continue receiving
notifications for this thread." thread, but received nothing from it (hence
me assuming that once messages are pushed to page two onward they are not
seen).

Sorry about that - I'll make sure I keep to the original thread, to which
you recently replied:

Thanks, and sorry about that.

Ted.

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote:

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:28:04 -0800, Ted wrote:

Hi, I need to run a formula on cells which themselves contain formula. The
second formula is subtracting, say, A1 from B1. The problem is when there are
no answers in the dependant cells (A1, B1 or both) €“ it, as expected just
gives a value of #VALUE!

How can I get excel to ignore the formula and return the value of zero, when
no data/numbers have been generated by the original/initial formula/dependant
cells??

Thanks in advance.

Ted.

One thing you can do is to keep your problem in the same thread, so that people
won't be wasting time posing solutions that you have tried but have already
failed, for one reason or another.

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi Ted

See answer posted to your earlier thread.

Regards

Roger Govier