Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Nested IF function to ignore cells with no data

Hi,
I have a simple nested IF function that compares numbers in two cells then
returns a word depending on whether the number in one cell is greater than,
equal to, or less than the number in the other cell:

=IF(F4G4,"Yes",IF(F4=G4,"Equal",IF(F4<G4,"No")))

Either (or both) of the compared cells might contain the number 0 (zero),
which is fine, I still want the IF function to compare and return the
appropriate word.

However, the compared cells sometimes have no data in them at all (are
blank), in which case I need the IF function to also remain blank.
Unfortunately the unsophisticated IF function I'm using still compares these
blank cells to give me the word "Equal".

How can I get the IF function to return a blank if the cells being compared
are also blank?

Cheers,
Steve Sharpe.