TK

Default Using the Find tool in EXCEL

I have a spreadsheet that contains hundreds of serial numbers. Each set of
numbers run in sequence so when I entered them in I simply entered in the
first number of a sequence and then created a formula for each of the
succeeding numbers so that each cell would just add one to the previous
number. However when I need to find a specific serial number I've tried
using the Find tool by typing the actual number that appears in a cell and
asking it to find that number. However it keeps coming back and telling me
it cant find the data. What am I doing wrong? Is Excel unable to find
numbers in cells when the number is based on a simple formula?
Martin P

Copy the whole worksheet. On another worksheet use Paste Special to paste
Values. Do the search on that worksheet. That will show you the location of
the values you are looking for.

"TK" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that contains hundreds of serial numbers. Each set of
numbers run in sequence so when I entered them in I simply entered in the
first number of a sequence and then created a formula for each of the
succeeding numbers so that each cell would just add one to the previous
number. However when I need to find a specific serial number I've tried
using the Find tool by typing the actual number that appears in a cell and
asking it to find that number. However it keeps coming back and telling me
it cant find the data. What am I doing wrong? Is Excel unable to find
numbers in cells when the number is based on a simple formula?

Gord Dibben

TK

In the Find options are you using Formulas or Values?

Try Values.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP