inventor84

Default New - Help - select cells + Free Tutor

New - Help - select cells + Free Tutor

Just started learning Excel have 9 hour in so far and practing today not in
class I could not select cells... I got the + on the right bottom corner but
when I dragged it down with numbers in the cell it copied the 123 numbers in
the first cell and over wrote the 2 and 3 rd cell when I dragged with shift
it numbered the cells 123 124 125 when I dragged with ctl it made 2 cells
blank and pasted my numbers below does anyone know what I did wrong or what
setting I need to change on my home computer to get it to work like the one
in class ?

thanks

--
Vacation pictures here
http://www.inventor-warp-speed.com/

700 shuttles - docked together like a train
__...---'-----`---...__
_===========================
______________,/' `---..._______...---'
(____________LL). . ,--'
/ /.---' `. /
'--------_ - - - - _/
`~~~~~~~~'

JulieD

Hi

if you have a number say in A1 and you drag it down using the + it will
duplicate the number over the cells underneath, basically overwriting the
data in them.
If you want the number to increment you need to use the CONTROL key while
you drag down on the + HOWEVER, to get it to work properly you MUST let go
of the MOUSE FIRST and then the CONTROL key. Note, it will still over-write
what, if anything, was in those cells!
Hopefully, this was the behaviour you saw in class.

BTW full marks for actually practicing - hang in there ... Excel can be a
lot of fun

Cheers
JulieD