Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Averaging Time

I would like to take the average of a list of times in the format HH/MM/SS
but I get gibberish.
Why is this and how do I return and average value from this data set with
the format HH/MM/SS?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Peter,

If you are summing dates that are already in HH:MM:SS format, you will
likely run into a challenge when you exceed 24 hours as the clock will then
roll. If you are using whole numbers, like 8, to designate 8 hours and are
displaying that in date format, you are not going to see 8 hours, but zero,
the rollover of 8 days.
--
http://HelpExcel.com

"PeterM" wrote:

I would like to take the average of a list of times in the format HH/MM/SS
but I get gibberish.
Why is this and how do I return and average value from this data set with
the format HH/MM/SS?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Peter

Just use
=AVERAGE(A1:A10) where A1:A10 hold your times.
Format the cell with formula FormatCellsNumberCustom[hh]:mm:ss to
allow for an average which exceeds 24 hours.

--
Regards

Roger Govier