Jan Buckley

Default Format spreadsheet so no input allowed if certain cell is =<0

I want to format a worksheet so that only credit inputs are allowed (amounts
less than 0) in any cell formatted as a number cell, whenever the cell
containing the spreadsheet balance is less than or equal to zero. This is a
spreadsheet where purchases are logged and a balance is maintained. If the
balance falls below zero, users are supposed to contact me for more money,
but they do not, and continue to log entries when the balance is in the red.
I want to prevent them from making any entries that will cause the balance to
fall below zero. I do want to allow them to make entries that will increase a
balance that is at or below zero. Can anyone help?

Bob Phillips

Jan,

Try this

On Error GoTo ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Target.NumberFormat = "$#,##0.00" Then
If Me.Range("H10").Value <= 0 Then
Target.Value = ""
MsgBox "Contact Jan for more money"

ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = True

Change the balance cell (H10 in my example) to suit.

--

HTH

RP

"Jan Buckley" wrote in message
I want to format a worksheet so that only credit inputs are allowed

(amounts
less than 0) in any cell formatted as a number cell, whenever the cell
containing the spreadsheet balance is less than or equal to zero. This is

spreadsheet where purchases are logged and a balance is maintained. If the
balance falls below zero, users are supposed to contact me for more money,
but they do not, and continue to log entries when the balance is in the

red.
I want to prevent them from making any entries that will cause the balance

fall below zero. I do want to allow them to make entries that will

increase a
balance that is at or below zero. Can anyone help?

Jan Buckley

Bob,

Thank you for your response. I'm not very adept at using Macros yet. I
pasted the module as you directed, but don't see any effect on my worksheet.
I'm sure I've not "connected all the dots". How do I make the code effective?
Sorry to be such a pest.

Jan

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Gord Dibben

Jan

When you and Bob do get this working properly, please email me a copy.

I like the part where you send me money<g

Gord

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Bob Phillips

Jan,

This is worksheet event code, which means it gets fired when a certain event
happens within a worksheet.

I gave instructions at the bottom on how to load it, did you understand and
follow these? If so, change one of the currency formatted cells, and if H10
is greater than 0, all is ok, otherwise it sends Gord more money :-)

--

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Jan Buckley

Bob,

I understood, and followed your directions. I copied the code and changed it
from your cell H10 to my cell E2 (cell containing the balance). My current
balance is 0. If I increase any of the amounts in the currency formatted
cells, the balance still goes in the red and I don't see any error message -
so no bucks for Gordo. . . Do I need to indicate a range of cells anywhere or
is the entire worksheet included by default? Pardon my ignorance, but this is
the first time I've worked with a 'worksheet code event'. Is the event always
"on"?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Bob Phillips

Jan,

Yes, the event is always on. Do you have the input cells formatted as
currency ("$#,##0.00") because that was one of your criteria. I understand
that all input cells will be formatted, but the format may be different to
that. Select one of those cells, and in the VBE immediate window, type

?Activecell.Numberformat

and change the event code with what you see.

If all else fails, mail it to me, and I will take a look.

--

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Gord Dibben

Jan

I'm anxious to get on this gravy train<g

E2 has the formula =SUM(A1:A10) to produce a balance.

E2 and A1:A10 are formatted as Currency $#,##0.00

As you enter numbers in A1:A10 as long as E2 remains above 0 nothing happens.

When you enter a number that would produce 0 or <0 in E2, you will get the
message and the cell you just entered the number in will go blank.

E2 will remain at its current value.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP