Billie

Default Please Please Help

I have a worksheet that has data links to another worksheet but when I do a
data sort it works fine on one but it only sorts the cell on the worksheet
with the linked data. How do I get the complete row to sort on the sheet
with the links?
Bernie Deitrick

Billie,

Select the complete table prior to doing the sort.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Billie" wrote in message
I have a worksheet that has data links to another worksheet but when I do a
data sort it works fine on one but it only sorts the cell on the worksheet
with the linked data. How do I get the complete row to sort on the sheet
with the links?

Bernie Deitrick

Billie,

What formulas do you have as your links?

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Billie" wrote:

I have a worksheet that has data links to another worksheet but when I do a
data sort it works fine on one but it only sorts the cell on the worksheet
with the linked data. How do I get the complete row to sort on the sheet
with the links?

Billie

I just have the actual cell number where when you type in one cell it links
into a cell on the other worksheet. After the link, I do a data sort on the
complete table and it puts the cell with the entire row correct on the table
where the actual data sort is done, however on the linked worksheet it just
sorts the one cell so I have data in the row that shouldn't be there....i.e.

billie X X X
(The X's represent data that should be in row 2, where billie is the sorted
cell)

Hope my explanation is ok....Thanks so much for your help....I seem to have
tried everything, even an individual sort on the linked page which does the
same thing.

"Billie" wrote:

I have a worksheet that has data links to another worksheet but when I do a
data sort it works fine on one but it only sorts the cell on the worksheet
with the linked data. How do I get the complete row to sort on the sheet
with the links?

Dave Peterson

Those kinds of formulas don't play nice with sorts.

This could be a workaround.

Find a unque key and put that in one of the columns (column A) of the sheet that
had all those formulas.

Now you can use =vlookup() to return the information from the adjacent cells
using =vlookup().

Visit Debra Dalgleish's site:
for nice instructions.

======
If I had my choice, I'd keep all the data in one sheet and use
data|filter|autofilter (or sort the data right there). Could that work for
you. (It sure makes life easier.)

--

Dave Peterson